two big, huge changes

I’ve been a little quiet here, but only because I’ve been so incredibly busy everywhere else!  In July, I did all of the following:

1. Finished my day job;
  2. So that I can move to the country, to live a few minutes away from my parents; and
  3. I’ll be self-employed fulltime with Phydeaux Designs.

Wow!  Right?  Yes, wow!

I may already have a lease in place for a beautiful little house with a huge back yard.  Small town USA, with clean air, blue skies, ridiculously hot summers, super cold winters, all four seasons, agriculture galore, but MOST and BEST of all … my parents.

I can’t wait.  (Mind you, I can wait for the moving part, but that’s part of the gig.)

I can’t wait to live a hop, skip and jump away from my parents.  You can always get a new job, but your family, that’s another thing altogether.  I will never regret making this decision and I think it’s the most important – and the best – decision I could possibly make right now.

That said, there aren’t a lot of jobs in my field where I’m moving to.  I could get any number of jobs, but I’m not that keen on working long hours for about half of my usual salary.

So, another easy decision:  fulltime Phydeaux.  As of Monday, Phydeaux is my fulltime job!  I’m super excited with infinite ideas (although time is still finite!).  I will be able to seriously expand my yarn and fiber dyeing enterprise  when I move, which is really exciting (no more kitchen dyeing!).

I’m a veteran mover, but am hoping to keep this move simple:  get rid of a lot of stuff before moving, hire someone else to do all the heavy lifting, and keep it stress free for my kitties.  Any moving tips for me??

• Vicki Potter August 2, 2012, 8:03 AM

I bet the cost of living will be a little less than where you’ve been. I’m sure you’ll adjust nicely.

Being close to family – sounds like your priorities are in the right place Brenda!

• Brenda August 2, 2012, 7:20 PM

TOTALLY less, Vicki! Yep, family is (should) always the top priority!

• Diana Darby August 3, 2012, 9:09 AM

Wish the best of luck for you with your new life, sounds all very exciting and am looking forward to hearing all about your success.
    It is the best possible decision to be able to be with your parents, family is just about the only thing that really matters in life, next to knitting of course!

• Randi August 3, 2012, 4:22 PM

You’re living the dream! Congratulations. My moving advice is to travel light. Everything you own, owns you. A new city, a new house is a fresh start and an opportunity to live more simply and consciously. Happy Moving!

• Summer August 3, 2012, 4:43 PM

Wonderful Brenda! I’m so happy for you…sounds like the perfect plan!

• brenda August 5, 2012, 11:30 AM

Thank you all! 🙂 LOVE that, Randi, about everything owning you (so true). I am massively downsizing, want to move as little as possible!

• Heather August 6, 2012, 12:20 PM

Brenda! Just discovered Phydeaux on Pinterest very recently- not long after I moved an hour and a half away from Chico, CA, my previous residence! You will absolutely love it around there! It is a great blend of small-town USA and lots of culture brought by the University. The summers there (although profanely hot!) are my favorite season- some of the best farmers markets there because of the agricultural community. Chico and its surrounding areas grow a whole lot of nuts and fruits, so, come spring-time, you must take some time to just drive through the orchards when they are blooming- the almonds are magnificent! Pink snow! You will be so inspired by your new surroundings, I just know it! Congratulations on your adventures, and I can’t wait to see more of your beautiful creations!

P.S. You will love the wildflowers in the spring there as well, go for a walk up on Table Mountain if you can, spectacular! Not to mention you will be pretty close to some incredible lakes and rivers!
    — Heather 🙂

• brenda August 7, 2012, 9:32 PM

Oh yay, thank you for the great (except for the heat) insights and tips! I will absolutely check out Table Mountain and now can’t wait to see the wildflowers. 🙂

• Ann August 8, 2012, 9:02 PM

I’ve just found your website through Pinterest. I don’t knit, but because your yarn is so beautiful I want to start. As a Navy wife my moving suggestion is to clean things as you go, before you pack them. Pictures, knick knacks all that stuff, is so nice to have it clean when you take it out of the box. Good Luck!