knitting “leaving” with Phydeaux dyed yarn

I’m starting a new job this week!  Which is great:  wonderful opportunity, great people, challenging, fun, etc.  But this vastly reduces Phydeaux time, which means big changes around Phydeaux HQ.

I’m focusing on dyeing yarn and designing patterns, not necessarily in that order.  With less frequent updates, given that there are only 24 hours in a day and seven days in a week, with most of my weekly allotment going to work, sleeping and kitties.  🙂

Which is actually really great news for you, because I’ll be more about quality vs. quantity, with more time sharing ideas and tips and tricks.  And free patterns (yep, you heard me right).

When it comes to knitting, I’ve always ALWAYS wanted to knit – and design – sweaters.  I looove sweaters, particularly sweater sets.  I never had time to dedicate to learning the art and craft of knitting beautifully intricate sweaters.  Until now!  Last night I cast on Leaving by Anne Hanson using my own hand dyed superwash wool.

Here’s what I wanted:  a cardigan with twisted rib (love!) and lace and texture, but with enough stockinette to showcase my yarn, but not enough stockinette that I’d want to choke myself.

I think Leaving is just the ticket!

If you’re not used to knitting with hand dyed yarn, you might be tempted to do what one normally does with commercially milled and dyed yarn:  knit one skein, attach next skein and knit that skein, and repeat.

But you really do need to alternate rows with at least two skeins of your indie dyed yarn.

Case in point above.  I dyed six skeins in the same kettle for this colorway (“burnished”).  Four looked pretty identical, two looked a little less identical, and one is definitely not related at all (luckily, I only need five skeins!).

I thought that the two skeins you can see above and below would be the most identical.  Depending on your monitor, you can see that one is much more goldenrod/amber and the other more mustard/bronze.

But as I’m alternating skeins every two rows, the colors are all there, just in totally different order and concentration.

I was worried that by alternating, I’d have TOO much striping.  Instead, I’m getting a nice subtle stripe.

I know you’re too smart to not alternate skeins, but JUST in case …

I’m still on the ribbing for the back and need to decide if I’m going to knit the pull over or cardigan (I’m leaning toward pull over right this second).  Any suggestions??

• Vicki Potter November 14, 2011, 8:39 AM

That yarn is delicious! I would try the pullover, but that’s just me. Both are lovely. The looks of those sweaters intimidate this knitter!

• Vicki Potter November 14, 2011, 8:40 AM

and I forgot to say — good luck at the new job 🙂

• brenda November 14, 2011, 6:19 PM

Thank you, Vicki! For both! 🙂

• Bethe November 17, 2011, 10:14 AM

Brenda….

Gorgeous yarn, and I love the variation in color, subtle and gentle….

Well I would lean towards the caridgan variety, showcase those one-of-kind buttons of yours….

And congrats on your new journey, your generous spirit deserves great things.

Bethe

• Sandra November 19, 2011, 7:54 PM

November 19-2011
    Good Evening from North Vancouver,BC Canada

Thank you so much for your welcome.

Do forgive me I have no idea as to how I actually found your marvellous website.. but I am delighted that I did find it.

I am looking forward in reading the comments by yourself and from your other members.

I must tell you I do love the beautiful Hand-Dyed Yellow Yarns..(Above)
    I am trying to find these exact same colours to knit myself a Big Cowl for the cold Winter which is coming right soon. Here in Canada the Winter weather does tend to get rather chilly. Having a Big Bulky/Chunky Cowl is what we need.And for me, I love Yarns that are either Handpainted or Variegated, so that I am able to wear the Scarf or Cowls with many different outfits.

I notice you don’t have any Retailers here in Canada or at least here in B.C. We are approximately 2 hours from Seattle,WA but since I am now retired and given up my car – I don’t go down to the USA anymore as I once did.

I was wondering what the Fibers are in your glorious Yellow Yarn shown above? And will these Yarns be expensive to buy ? Being a Senior one does need to Save our Pennies.. LOL

I want to Wish You & Your Family a most Happy Thanksgiving.

Regards & Blessings..
    Sandy

• brenda November 20, 2011, 3:48 PM

Thank you, Bethe and Sandy! 🙂 Sandy, you can find my yarn on my own site: http://phydeauxdesigns.etsy.com. the yarn above is superwash merino wool. I’ll be dyeing more yarn this coming weekend, including something similar to above!

🙂 Brenda

• Kathy Sturtz January 22, 2015, 4:04 PM

I have 4 skeins of Six Geese and am looking for a pattern to do it justice. I love this Leaving! Do you think four skeins will make a Leaving pullover? If I have enough yarn, it will be lovely!

• brenda January 22, 2015, 10:15 PM

Hi Kathy! I’m so glad you treated yourself! My answer is … “it depends.” 🙂

Soie fingering weight is 435 yds / 100 gr skein. If your swatch is right on for pattern gauge, you’ll just need to see how many yards your size calls for, and then how many skeins you’ll need. If you’re knitting a smaller size, you might be fine with four skeins.

AND I think the six geese will be super pretty in that beautiful pattern.