Inspiration: Lord of the Rings

mordor from Jackson's LOTR

I am a huge fan of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy.  I first read the books in grade school, which cemented my not so inner nerdiness for all time.  And fell head over in heels in love with Peter Jackson’s trilogy.

I rewatched the LOTR trilogy last week (nerd!) and was struck this time around by the amazing color and texture in the films.

To the point that I start planning colorways for hand dyed yarn.  I know I’m not the first, but oh what fun!

In progress: new shawl design using new Phydeaux yarn

I was completely mesmerized by Mordor’s stark greys with vivid pops of flame and lava.  One of my favorite color combinations is orange and grey.  You can see my first attempt to capture this combination above:  palest pearl grey to rich concrete to dark soot, with pale to warm apricot, peach and salmon.

I am often inspired by colors or texture from movies.  What about you?  What inspires you?

• andrea July 30, 2011, 12:27 PM

very cool!
    i’m often inspired by colors and color combos~they usually are my inspiration for a project 🙂

• brenda July 30, 2011, 2:44 PM

Me too, Andrea! It’s all about color. 🙂

• Billi Cummings July 30, 2011, 2:29 PM

I love those colors together. The yarn is perfect.

• brenda July 30, 2011, 2:43 PM

Thank you, Billi! Glad to find a kindred soul. 🙂

• Kepanie July 30, 2011, 4:28 PM

Very cool of you. I could barely get through The Hobbit. I liked the movies a lot except I got sorely ticked w/Frodo as it took forever of course for him to get rid of that damn ring.
    Very clever this colorway inspiration.

• brenda July 31, 2011, 1:10 PM

Stefanie, you are totally on the mark with Frodo! This last viewing, I finally *got* Samwise Gamgee and decided he is the true hero of the tale, pulling and kicking and dragging Frodo all the way to what he was sure was a miserable end. 🙂

• Cat August 2, 2011, 7:27 AM

Hi Bren- I love The Hobbit and The LOTR- last month I saw The Tree of Life and the cinematography had me inspired for days and days …. hope you are having a nice summer.

xo

• brenda August 2, 2011, 5:43 PM

Hi Cat! OK, off to check out The Tree of Life. 🙂 I’m having a great summer and hope the same for you! xo

• Sharon Hanson August 8, 2011, 11:38 PM

Like you, Brenda, I loved the Hobbit and The LOTR as well. After first reading these books I sketched a lot of my favorite characters in costumes I imagined they should wear. Also like you, I am intrigued by texture and color, but more than artwork like paintings or movies, I am inspired by historical periods.

And Cat is so right about the Tree of Life! What images!

• brenda August 10, 2011, 3:39 PM

Sharon, I’ve enjoyed your historical fashion posts on your blog and your beautiful cloches really show your love! 🙂